September 8, 2008

The Nap: Once Hated, Now Loved


I've never been one for naps. They so happen to be Mama K's favorite pastime, but for me, life is just too short for sleeping during the day when there are so many interesting places to visit, people to meet, foods to taste, books to devour...

Honestly, I've never been much in support of sleep, in general. I maybe manage a solid six hours each night, and usually savor those last few hours before bed like a death row inmate's last meal. I'm with Nas on this one: I never sleep/'cause sleep is the cousin of death.

That being said, my candle having finally been burned steadily from both ends until all that's left is a sad, tired, wick-less lump of spent wax, I found myself sprawling on the sofa with Young Old, our lids craving a bit of the Sandman's wares.

I napped for the first time in over a year, and my goodness, it was a delightful experience, letting go of the expectations caused by the plethora of delights waiting to be consumed, instead simply snuggling up to my son, drifting off into the land of REM together.

I love you, O gracious Nap. We shall meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment