October 11, 2008

Reflexive Love


There's something deeply heartwarming and precious about Young Old's fidgety phalanges stilling themselves to embrace our much larger digits. I know, I know, it's a reflex, this constant gripping of any firm object within reach, but as Young Old matures I get the feeling that there's love in this reflex, a sense of peace and comfort, a sort of "thanks for helping me out, mom/dad" conveyance. It instantly garners a smile, no matter how tired or grumpy our previous moods were, righting our relationship, waking us back up to the reality of how much this little guy means to us. We love you, Young Old, even if that too is an instinctive reflex of sorts. It seems, my little buddy, that we're all hardwired to care for one another in that deepest sense of the word.

And hopefully, we can build on that for the rest of our lives together...

1 comment: